How can I switch from Hotmail to Gmail?

After using Hotmail for 20 years, our reader’s friends say she should switch to Gmail. Is it worth it?
I’ve used Hotmail from the late 90s. All my friends and family use Gmail and I feel like a dinosaur with clunky old Hotmail. 
Apart from looking like I’ve finally entered the 21st century, what are the benefits of switching from Hotmail to Gmail? And, given everyone I’ve ever known has my Hotmail address, and I have so many old emails in my Hotmail inbox, how on earth could I switch? 

Change gmail password


I was one of Gmail’s first public users in 2004 and spent a decade recommending Hotmail users to switch. I almost switched back in 2013, but both services have changed a lot since then. I now think you should have both services, with one acting as a backup, though you could also back up to Yahoo.
Ideally, you should use your own domain name for your main address. Unfortunately, neither Hotmail nor Reset gmail password provides that feature free, though to some extent you can fake it with an alias. See below ….

Hotmail and Outlook.com
Today, I can at least guarantee that you are not using Hotmail. Microsoft closed that service years ago, and all Hotmail users are using its current service at Outlook.com. Technically, Outlook.com is newer than Gmail, though both services are updated all too frequently. Google to Kill Its Inbox App In Favor of Gmail 

You are, of course, still using a Hotmail address. However, if you switched to using a new Outlook.com address, you would still be using exactly the same email service. In fact, the simplest way to remove the Hotmail “stigma” would be to add an Outlook.com address and use both from the same mailbox.

Google is executing off its Gmail substitute application before it could end up prominent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gmail encryption: Everything you have to know

New Gmail Bug Is a Paradise for Spammers and Phishers